Monday, June 25, 2012

Biscuits

It has been a few days ago, but this post is about my experience making biscuits. I have always enjoyed baking, but it has always been with desserts. However, I really want to take over making meals to help my mom out. In order to do that, I knew I would need to break away from desserts. I have tried making eggs as seen in an earlier post, but I was unsure of where to go from there. That's when I decided to email a wonderful chef named Ben Starr. He was on Master Chef season 2, and he is without a doubt my favorite contestant. I decided that I wanted to email him and ask for some advice about where to start. It was kind of nerve wracking to email somebody that I truly admire. Still, I sent off the message and waited unsure of when and if I would hear from him.

Then, I got a response. I was so excited for a multitude of reasons. He is such an extraordinarily genuine and kind person. You just have to read his blog to see that, and his email to me showed me that even more. He told me to try his recipe for buttermilk biscuits which is on his website, and he also suggested a cake recipe to try as well. In addition, he just made me feel so comfortable. I didn't feel stupid like I normally do when I ask people about things. It was nice.

Anyway, I tried out his recipe for biscuits. First I watched the video that he had posted up that went step by step how to make them. Afterwards I felt pretty decent about my ability to be successful with it and went to gather all the ingredients. I ended up watching the video again as I went just to make sure I was doing things right. Everything was going alright except for a few minor mistakes. I forgot to flower my hands, so at first the dough stuck to my hands. After fixing that, I was doing pretty well. I was so excited. That's when I went to go get the biscuit cutter and realized that we had no biscuit cutter.

At first I panicked, and then I shook my head. This would only happen to me. Luckily, I found a Santa cookie cutter to use. While it wasn't exactly conventional, they turned out pretty good. They were great with jelly. I felt so happy that the biscuits turned out edible and that I was on my way to learning how to cook. I felt so grateful to Ben Starr at that moment. He just made me feel so much better. Next, I'm planning on trying his cake. Chalk this one up to a win. I'm going slowly, but I'm learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment